ZIVAI MATONDO DTM - CLUB GROWTH DIRECTOR
Toastmasters member since: March 2014
Education: Master of Business AdministrationToastmasters offices held and terms of service:
- District Club Coach Coordinator 2020/21
- Area Director 2018/19
- District Club Fitness Rewards Coordinator 2017/18
- Club: President 2017/18, VP Education 2015/16, VP Membership 2014/15, VP Public Relations 2020/21, Secretary 2019/20, Treasurer 2016/17
- DTM in both Legacy program and Pathways
- Pathways Ambassador 2017
- Sponsor x 6 clubs
- Mentor x 3 clubs
- Presidents Distinguished Club 2017/18
- Sponsor 10x members, 5 x members
- Featured in The Toastmaster magazine February 2018
Relevant work experience and how it relates to Toastmasters and your role as a District leader:
Served as an Executive Committee Member for a South African Health & Wellness Company as it expanded into Southern Africa 2009 to 2014
I have experience spanning 20 years building and working with marketing teams across the Southern Africa region across 3 organisations I have been affiliated to. This experience has given me an appreciation of brand building and positioning.
Attracting new business partners and developing new markets is a skill I use in Toastmasters to bring in new members and start new clubs. In my 7 years in Toastmasters I have started 6 new clubs.
I run a coaching and consulting business and my experience there has helped me develop my strategic marketing and communication skills which has been an asset when it comes to Toastmasters.
What experience do you have in strategic planning?
Partnering with the three South African companies to expand into the region gave me experience in strategic planning and carrying out the plans which were a success.
I have also worked with an international church organisation in developing and carrying out a strategic plan to launch in other cities in my country.
What experience do you have in the area of finance?
I have worked as an assistant accountant in a manufacturing company and I have also run a bookkeeping practice where I had clients I managed books for.
Being an entrepreneur has also given me an opportunity to manage finances for my businesses.
What experience do you have in developing procedures?
Building and managing teams in the Health & Wellness Industry allowed me to develop procedures for each country we expanded into mainly Botswana, Zambia & Zimbabwe as each one was unique. Working with start ups has also given me the experience in developing procedures for their operations and their Human Resources department.
What lessons did you learn from previous leadership positions?
- Build an effective team and empower them to carry out their roles. Help them grow.
- Have a well articulated vision and ensure that the team understands the vision so they can run with it.
- You can learn from others in the team
- Foster teamwork
- Be decisive
- Be inspirational
- Be empathetic.
Why do you want to serve as a District leader?
I believe my strong strategic marketing and communication skills would serve the district's mission.
I have a passion for personal development and have benefited tremendously from being a member of Toastmasters that I want it in the hands of as many people as possible.
I also like the challenge of duplicating myself in others and so if I can challenge others to do what I have done i.e. sponsor 6 clubs and personally bring in 47 new members it would be exciting for me.
Being in this role would further enhance my strategic marketing and communication skills.
In your opinion, what are the District mission’s major objectives and how would you work to achieve them?
To build new clubs and support all clubs in achieving excellence is something I resonate with.
- Develop a strategic marketing plan to build new clubs and to bring in new members so as to sustain healthy clubs
- Develop and equip a team to serve in the various areas that will help us achieve our District goals
- Communicate and learn from past successful CGDs and also learn from other CGDs in the region
- Create awareness around the membership building campaigns and where necessary develop some district incentives for membership building.
Additional information about yourself
I am a personal development coach, trainer and facilitator and it's something I am very passionate about. I promote Toastmasters wherever I go and whenever I get the opportunity to do so. I am someone who when I decide to do something I focus on it and strive to achieve the goals set. The goals don't change but at times the strategy changes so that goals are met. One of my personal values is excellence and it helps me and those I work with to deliver on our mandate.